Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Home

There is no place like home. I came home on the 21st after a 14 hour flight. It was supposed to be a 4 hour direct flight!

I spent the last weekend in Mexico City because I wanted to see the Museum of Anthropology and the historical downtown. I thought Mexico City would be overwhelming, but it is quite manageable. It doesn't seem to be as crowded as some Asian cities.

The museum is huge! My legs were sore by the end of three hours from all the walking. The Mexican culture is very rich; the indigenous section alone took two floors of the building.

I went with another student, Ryan, who has been in Mexico City many times. We took the metro to get around. It's very clean and cheap. Although, it is one of the most dangerous cities, it did not feel like it. I saw a few ruins inside the metro station as well. When the government was digging the city, they found a few underground ruin sites. The government designed the city around these sites to preserve the ruin. The biggest of this ruin is the Temple of Mayor which is in the historical district.

The historical district also have a small Chinatown. We had food at a Chinese restaurant, which was good, but a bit greasy.

I liked Mexico City, but I like Cuernavaca a lot better because it is more manageable; however, it can be more expensive than Mexico City.

I also spent an afternoon at a water park a couple hours away from Cuernavaca. I tried out all the rides. Some of the water parks have very dangerous rides that they have women signed a liability form before riding it.

Overall, the trip was worthwhile. I enjoyed learning about the Mexican culture, the cuisine, the polictics and appreciate the friendliness of the people and the hospitality of my host mom. I couldn't have done that without living here.

1 comment:

Smith Alum Blogs said...

Hi! You've been added to the Association of Smith Alum Blogs (smithalumblogs.wordpress.com). If that's not ok with you, or if you know of someone else we should add, please email us at smithalumblogs@gmail.com.
~Sarah & Amanda